A very active and healthy 22 month old and 7 month old, how to survive the day!
I have shared here some of the proven and tested activities that have prevented my children’s meltdowns and or divert attention.
- Put on a CD and dance. We do this every morning. Baby on jumper, bobbing his head with the music while mama and toddler wiggle their hips. Great way to start the start. Happy music and some exercise. I recommend those sing along children song. After a couple of songs and seeing mama wiggling and having fun, a grumpy toddler will sure start participating and having fun.
- Sing a familiar action song. My daughter, the toddler loves to sing “Row, Row, Row, Your Boat” and when baby is crying this song definitely stops the tears and soon you’ll see the smile. My daughter loved saying “wrow” and doing the action. Another favourite is “If you’re Happy and You Know It”. This is a hit to both of my children. My daughter loves the wiggling as I have changed the second verse to wiggling and almost always we don’t finish the song as she just wiggles away.
- Musical toys. I still use musical toys to divert the attention of my toddler when she is having a spell. She is still at that age that is intrigued by the sounds that comes out from a thing. Though the attention span is not that long, it is still long enough to stop the crying. And of course babies love anything that emits a sound or song while being touched or shaken.
- Read. The colourful pictures captivates the attention of my baby and my toddler is having fun and learning at the same as she points and names objects, shapes, animals or letters.
- Bath. This is only applicable to my toddler. She likes water and really loved to play in one. May it be water in a cup or the one in the bath. She has stick-able foam alphabets that she loves playing with.
- TV. I think there is no need to expound. But I have to make sure though that it is on Treehouse otherwise the crying will start again. Apparently as I just noticed lately, this applies also to my baby boy.
- Youtube. This is the last resort. This will stop the tears and occupy her till whenever but the problem is when you take away the Playbook or iPhone, the tears is much much worse.
I know that there is still a lot of activities to be discovered but for now, the above list are a sure fire way to stop the tears and I’ll be sticking to them until the day it stops working.